Skip to main content

Help

Hey guys. This is a very personal post but... I need help.

Being a new mom has been, well, lonely. Really lonely.

Yes, I have my precious baby boy to play with all day but it's not like he can talk to me, really listen to me, or play with me. It's hard when it's so one sided alllll day.

The most exciting things in my life (other than the cute things Ander is constantly doing and the couple hours of rehearsal I have each week) are finally finding something good to watch on Netflix, finally seeing Brandon's car come in the driveway, or getting an Amazon package in the mail.

It's always been easy for me to make friends and form connections with people. I've always had a best friend. It's weird to not have one. Yes, I have close friends and I love them dearly. But I don't have that one person that I can call for anything, that person who lives down the road who I can hang out with all the time while Brandon is at work, or on the weekends to go have fun girly dates. I don't have that person who will listen to me, whose hair I can play with while we watch movies, someone to give me advice or share stories with. And it sucks.

Just because I have a kid doesn't mean I can't have a best friend, right? How do I make that happen? It's hard because I really like my ward but I haven't made a connection with anyone here. I had a calling in nursery for a long time and then I had a baby and was gone for a few months. As wonderful as Ander is, he makes it tough to socialize at church. I've wanted to become friends with certain ladies but then they moved, or are planning to move. Our ward is VERY transient. That's what you get when your ward is all town-homes, condos, and apartments. I have friends in Provo but it's 25 minutes away and Ander needs to stay close to home during the day so he can take naps. It's a dilemma.

I jokingly told Brandon I was gonna post something like "Attention! Now accepting applications for the long vacant position of... my best friend. Anyone can apply but Lehi residents preferred. Will train." on craigslist. Ha ha. But seriously.

I don't know what to do with myself a lot of the time. After I work out and my chores are done, I just kind of sit there. While Ander sleeps I read books, facebook way more than I should, journal, look for new recipes and watch meaningless baking shows on Netflix. It's depressing.

I need mommy friendly ideas of how I can serve others, how I can make the world a better place so that I feel fulfilled and needed. And, I need ideas on how to find, as Anne Shirley would say, a kindred spirit.

Help?

Thanks for listening.

~Jessie Kay

Comments

  1. Jessie, my darling, anyone would be blessed to have you for a best friend. Friends don't come more loyal and loving than you. I wish I lived closer, because I would love to be your best friend, even though I'm old. ;) I will pray that Father blesses you with a really good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be your best friend!!! Call me and we'll FaceTime whenever you're bored! I totally know how you feel, I felt the same way with Morgan. Wish we lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so remember and still know this feeling! Being a Mom is awesome, but finding a really good friend is tough and you need one lots! I love how honest you are and I think what you wrote rings true for most women. Robin is so right, if you pray you'll find a bestie. Heavenly Father will send you a kindred spirit. I've done it before and it totally worked. Now that I'm writing it I'm realizing it's what I need to do too. Thanks for blogging. I love to peak at what you post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A YEAR AND A HALF!

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down there time. You are gettin' a little quick for my liking. Ander Man has gotten big way too fast. He is 18 months old! That's like... a year and a half! =P  I do have to say that he is sooo much fun at this age, even though we've seen glimpses of his future "terrible two" year old self (oh please let him stay an angel!). He is so independent and so curious about everything. He sure is a happy little fella. He definitely knows how to get his way with that cute smile of his. I mean, who could say no to that? He is so so sweet and is so good to snuggle with mom and dad. He still doesn't say a whole lot. He mostly just grunts and points. I'm pretty sure I gave birth to a caveman. ;) Here's a list of some things he says (and a lot of them are his own interpretations of the word): Mom, Dad Nana, Pop Pop Papa Dog, Puppy Bottle Blankie Hi No,Yes (but mostly "no") He can make quite a few animal sounds. I t

Our Little Lion- Ander's Birth Story

My mom flew in from AZ to work her magic on Friday, Aug 30 th . She arrived at around 1 pm and we promptly went walking around the nearby outlet mall for several hours. We went to dinner at 6:30 and during the meal I started noticing stronger, deeper contractions that were pretty regular. I didn’t think they were real contractions because I had just been measured at 1.5 cm dilated 2 days prior and my doctor was thinking I would deliver after my due date (Sep 5 th ). I started timing them at about 5-6 minutes apart. Mom decided we needed to do more walking (ha ha) and so, of course, we went and did more shopping. The contractions got so uncomfortable that I couldn’t walk normally. At around 9 pm I called my doctor and he said I could head to the hospital at any time. I wanted to labor at home as long as possible to avoid the use of medication so he told me I could wait until they were about three minutes apart. We went home and watched a movie (How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days) to distract