Skip to main content

Flashback: Prague




AH! I just realized I failed to document my adventure in Prague, Czech Republic in July.

I was chosen, with a small group of dancers from BYU, to travel to Prague to perform in an international storytelling conference.

After 14 hours on an airplane and another hour bus ride to Prague, we discovered our luggage was missing. After filling out some paperwork we decided to make the best of it and go exploring. We walked the cobblestone streets and browsed the quaint shops all along the way. We got hungry and stopped to eat at an authentic czech restaurant where we all ordered something we were told was delicious. To the contrary, we all felt mildly sick to our stomachs afterward and vowed never to eat that sticky orange sauce again. I tried to use my credit card to buy the meal and discovered it was frozen. Yes, I did call the bank before I left to tell them I would be out of the country but somehow, the message hadn't gotten through. So in addition to being gross from traveling all day, luggage-less and sick to my stomach, I was penniless. Nor did I have a phone with access to the US to call my bank. This was quite discouraging. We went to bed quite disgusting- no teeth brushed, no deodorant applied, same nappy clothes on our backs. The next morning we got up and found our luggage had been delivered! Our spirits greatly lifted, we headed out for our tour of the city, freshly showered and clothed. We all met at the clock tower, about a 15 minute walk from our hostel. Just as we got there I was looking at some exchange rates on a sign and all of a sudden, I felt a huge bucket of liquid fall on my head. Because of its dark brown color I figured it was someones coffee they had poured out of their window. I glared upward and to my amazement saw a smug pigeon fly off into the sky. Then the smell registered. That dumb bird with diarhea had left its entrails in my hair, on my fresh clean clothes, and on the skin of my arms and face. Yes, I started to cry. Dumb, dumb bird. I ran back to the hostel, angry at the situation, while my friends tried to make me laugh. What great, great friends. I got changed into different clothes and used a paper towel to try to get the muck out of my hair. I smelled the rest of the day. In the end, good friends paid my way through until I was able to get a hold of my bank. The rest of the trip was marvelous. We even found a TGI Fridays where we may or may have eaten there three times on the week long stay.

Our group had the opportunity to share a very important message with people from several nations at the Oral History Conference. This conference happens annually in different countries. We received a grant to fly to Prague, stay in a hostel in the city center, and perform a piece about life and death from the LDS perspective at the conference. It was so neat to be able to bear our testimonies through our movement. I loved answering their questions after the performance and hearing how it had affected them. One woman whose mother had recently passed away found great comfort in our message that she would see her again. Wow.

The architecture was breath taking, the company very amiable, the conference fantastic, and the experience life changing.

Comments

  1. You should remove this post... I think "This post has been removed by the author" would look really cool under my name...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Help

Hey guys. This is a very personal post but... I need help. Being a new mom has been, well, lonely. Really lonely. Yes, I have my precious baby boy to play with all day but it's not like he can talk to me, really listen to me, or play with me. It's hard when it's so one sided alllll day. The most exciting things in my life (other than the cute things Ander is constantly doing and the couple hours of rehearsal I have each week) are finally finding something good to watch on Netflix, finally seeing Brandon's car come in the driveway, or getting an Amazon package in the mail. It's always been easy for me to make friends and form connections with people. I've always had a best friend. It's weird to not have one. Yes, I have close friends and I love them dearly. But I don't have that one person that I can call for anything, that person who lives down the road who I can hang out with all the time while Brandon is at work, or on the weekends to go have

A YEAR AND A HALF!

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down there time. You are gettin' a little quick for my liking. Ander Man has gotten big way too fast. He is 18 months old! That's like... a year and a half! =P  I do have to say that he is sooo much fun at this age, even though we've seen glimpses of his future "terrible two" year old self (oh please let him stay an angel!). He is so independent and so curious about everything. He sure is a happy little fella. He definitely knows how to get his way with that cute smile of his. I mean, who could say no to that? He is so so sweet and is so good to snuggle with mom and dad. He still doesn't say a whole lot. He mostly just grunts and points. I'm pretty sure I gave birth to a caveman. ;) Here's a list of some things he says (and a lot of them are his own interpretations of the word): Mom, Dad Nana, Pop Pop Papa Dog, Puppy Bottle Blankie Hi No,Yes (but mostly "no") He can make quite a few animal sounds. I t

Our Little Lion- Ander's Birth Story

My mom flew in from AZ to work her magic on Friday, Aug 30 th . She arrived at around 1 pm and we promptly went walking around the nearby outlet mall for several hours. We went to dinner at 6:30 and during the meal I started noticing stronger, deeper contractions that were pretty regular. I didn’t think they were real contractions because I had just been measured at 1.5 cm dilated 2 days prior and my doctor was thinking I would deliver after my due date (Sep 5 th ). I started timing them at about 5-6 minutes apart. Mom decided we needed to do more walking (ha ha) and so, of course, we went and did more shopping. The contractions got so uncomfortable that I couldn’t walk normally. At around 9 pm I called my doctor and he said I could head to the hospital at any time. I wanted to labor at home as long as possible to avoid the use of medication so he told me I could wait until they were about three minutes apart. We went home and watched a movie (How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days) to distract