Skip to main content

Our Little Lion- Ander's Birth Story

My mom flew in from AZ to work her magic on Friday, Aug 30th. She arrived at around 1 pm and we promptly went walking around the nearby outlet mall for several hours. We went to dinner at 6:30 and during the meal I started noticing stronger, deeper contractions that were pretty regular. I didn’t think they were real contractions because I had just been measured at 1.5 cm dilated 2 days prior and my doctor was thinking I would deliver after my due date (Sep 5th). I started timing them at about 5-6 minutes apart. Mom decided we needed to do more walking (ha ha) and so, of course, we went and did more shopping. The contractions got so uncomfortable that I couldn’t walk normally. At around 9 pm I called my doctor and he said I could head to the hospital at any time. I wanted to labor at home as long as possible to avoid the use of medication so he told me I could wait until they were about three minutes apart. We went home and watched a movie (How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days) to distract me from the stronger, more painful contractions. They stopped coming regularly and I started to feel like maybe I had misjudged true labor. I got super sleepy and went to bed at 10:30. I got about two hours of uncomfortable rest before counting the contractions again. They were 5-6 minutes apart again and much more painful. I knelt down over my birthing ball for each contraction and Brandon was able to help me with counter pressure on my lower back. A few hours later I tried laboring in the bathtub. Finally at 5 am, with my contractions 3-4 minutes apart, I thought we should head to the hospital. They hooked me up to monitor the contractions and measured me at 6.5 cm dilated. At this point, I was seriously tempted to ask for some drugs. But Brandon was there, and with his help, I knew I could do it. The song, “A Child’s Prayer” ran through my head over and over and was such a comfort to me. An hour later I was 7 cm dilated and my water broke. Soon after that I got in the tub again, hoping the jets would ease my back pain. Brandon was the most amazing coach during the whole process. He was continually pouring water over my tummy and chest, putting counter pressure on my shoulders, and giving me verbal affirmations. After an hour in the tub I felt like I really needed to go to the bathroom but as I sat over the toilet, I suddenly realized what everyone had meant by, “You’ll know when it’s time to push”. Holy Hannah. I quickly made my way back to bed and started pushing (and yelling in pain...oops). I heard the nurses saying that Ander’s heart rate was pretty low and slipping lower. I also heard them on the phone with my doctor, telling him he was going to miss it if he didn’t hurry (he was in the parking lot). When he arrived, he let me know that Ander’s heart rate was really low (at one point as low as 58) and that I was going to have to have an emergency c-section or I had to push him out right away. They put an oxygen mask on me and I pushed harder than I’ve ever pushed for anything. After two more pushes, he was out. The first thing I heard was, “Look at that hair!” Ha ha. After making sure his heart rate was back to normal, they put him on my chest. What a glorious moment. Through tears of relief and pure joy, I started talking to Ander and right away, he looked up at me. As they stitched me up, Brandon and I marveled over our little angel. Ander Dare McCloskey was born on Saturday, Aug 31st at 7:07 am at 9 lbs, 2 oz and 20.5 inches long. His name means lion man, warrior, or manly. We have discovered that we named him well as he often roars like a lion. Brandon said our next kid should be named after a humming bird. HA HA!





Comments

  1. Beautiful story Jess! You the woman! I am so so happy for you. Look what you did! I can't wait till its my turn!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Help

Hey guys. This is a very personal post but... I need help. Being a new mom has been, well, lonely. Really lonely. Yes, I have my precious baby boy to play with all day but it's not like he can talk to me, really listen to me, or play with me. It's hard when it's so one sided alllll day. The most exciting things in my life (other than the cute things Ander is constantly doing and the couple hours of rehearsal I have each week) are finally finding something good to watch on Netflix, finally seeing Brandon's car come in the driveway, or getting an Amazon package in the mail. It's always been easy for me to make friends and form connections with people. I've always had a best friend. It's weird to not have one. Yes, I have close friends and I love them dearly. But I don't have that one person that I can call for anything, that person who lives down the road who I can hang out with all the time while Brandon is at work, or on the weekends to go have

A YEAR AND A HALF!

Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down there time. You are gettin' a little quick for my liking. Ander Man has gotten big way too fast. He is 18 months old! That's like... a year and a half! =P  I do have to say that he is sooo much fun at this age, even though we've seen glimpses of his future "terrible two" year old self (oh please let him stay an angel!). He is so independent and so curious about everything. He sure is a happy little fella. He definitely knows how to get his way with that cute smile of his. I mean, who could say no to that? He is so so sweet and is so good to snuggle with mom and dad. He still doesn't say a whole lot. He mostly just grunts and points. I'm pretty sure I gave birth to a caveman. ;) Here's a list of some things he says (and a lot of them are his own interpretations of the word): Mom, Dad Nana, Pop Pop Papa Dog, Puppy Bottle Blankie Hi No,Yes (but mostly "no") He can make quite a few animal sounds. I t